Collecting at the Cape Ann Museum
Saturday, July 29
Exhibit Openings & Events
Join the curator of the Cape Ann Museum, Martha Oaks, for an illustrated presentation on CAM’s collecting history.
The Cape Ann Museum traces its roots back to 1873 when a group of men and women, interested in virtually all aspects of Cape Ann, bound themselves together as the Cape Ann Scientific & Literary Association. In 1923, the group acquired the Capt. Elias Davis House, which was built between 1799 and 1804, and made it their headquarters. This was the Association’s first permanent home and leaders quickly began amassing a collection of historical objects, record and account books, fine arts, decorative arts and textiles. In coming decades, the facility would undergo five major expansions (1936, 1968, the late 1990s, 2001 and 2014). Throughout all its growth and expansion, the organization has kept its focus squarely on Cape Ann.
Free with Museum admission. Registration required; please call (978)283-0455 x10 or register online at Eventbrite.
For more information email email@example.com.
Offered in conjunction with the special exhibition, Rock Bound: Painting the American Scene on Cape Ann and Along the Shore.
The Museum is deeply grateful to the lenders to the exhibition and
to the following individuals and businesses:
Mary Craven | Margaret Pearson | John Rando | Arthur Ryan