Brazilian Independence Day Celebration
Sunday, August 27
12:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m.
Community Programs, Youth and Family Programs
Downtown Campus, 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA
Free and open to the public
Join the Cape Ann Museum, Action Inc, and the Brazilian & Hispanic Convenience Store for the 2nd Brazilian Independence Day Celebration in Gloucester!
Independence Day of Brazil, or Sete de Setembro, is officially celebrated on September 7 to mark Brazil’s Declaration of Independence from Portugal on September 7, 1822. The Cape Ann Museum and Action Inc. are working with local Brazilian community members to share Brazilian food, culture, music, and dance in Downtown Gloucester.
The Brazilian community has been growing on Cape Ann for over 35 years, mostly in Downtown Gloucester, and have started businesses including local restaurants, hair salons, stores, and cleaning companies. Taste salgadinhos, dance capoeira, and make your own Brazilian Flag during this afternoon celebration.
- Free Admission to the Cape Ann Museum, timed tickets still required for Edward Hopper & Cape Ann
- Music from Vindinha de Balanda and DJ Dehan
- Face Painting with Tia Nany
- Brazilian Flag Making with the Cape Ann Museum
- Make a Chocalho with the Gloucester Education Foundation
- Make a Pandeiro with Rockport Music
- 1:30 - 2:30 pm: Capoeira Ronda and Jiu Jitsu Performances
- Brazilian & Hispanic Convenience Store
- Bocao Hot Dog
Partner & Sponsor Organizations
- Gloucester Education Foundation
- Rockport Music
- Carol Steele Insurance
- Gloucester 400+
- Community First Partnership, City of Gloucester
- HomeWorks Energy
- Seaside Graphics
- Foster MA, Department of Children and Families
- Cape Ann Savings Bank
- National Grid
- Sawyer Free Library
- Cape Ann Business Alliance
- Seashore Heating & Cooling