VISITOR SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE
About the Opportunity
The Cape Ann Museum (CAM) is a great regional museum, a treasure and force unto itself on Cape Ann, at the epicenter of artistic and marine history in the northeast. The Museum’s nationally significant collections include fine and decorative arts, artifacts from the major industries of the area—the fisheries and granite quarrying as well as an extensive Library and Archives. At the beginning of August, CAM will unveil a Winslow Homer exhibition entitled Homer at the Beach, which is unprecedented in scale including loans from over 50 institutions and individuals from across the United States. Recent changes in leadership build on the Museum’s strong history and reposition CAM as an extraordinary Cape Ann landmark.
In April 2019, CAM welcomed a new Museum Director, Oliver Barker, and Charles Esdaile assumed the role of Chair of the Board. Together, this leadership along with CAM’s Board of Directors are galvanizing the Museum in exciting ways in preparation for its upcoming 150th Anniversary and the City of Gloucester’s 400th Anniversary in 2023. In this context the Museum is currently building a Collections Center campus to address the need for expanded collections storage and the desire for additional exhibition and community programming space. This campus is a critical component of the Museum’s 2018–2023 Strategic Plan and will provide many ways to engage, excite and connect with Museum audiences.
The Museum is now seeking two (2) Visitor Services Representatives to join its dynamic team.
Reporting to the Visitor Services Manager, Visitor Services Representatives are the first contact with Museum visitors and play a vital role in providing a quality visitor experience. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, as they perform a variety of duties including selling general admission, event and programming tickets as well as Museum Memberships while providing exceptional customer services in person and over the phone.
- Provide a warm and engaging customer service experience to all visitors and maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of Museum exhibitions, partnerships and public programs.
- Assist with daily operations including, admissions sales, event and programming tickets, membership processing and data collection.
- Facilitate visitor support and wayfinding, manage entrance lobby to ensure timely and courteous processing of both individual and group visitors.
- Process gift shop sales and assist with entering gift shop inventory and product restocking.
- Respond to general telephone and email inquiries.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of entrance lobby and front desk, re-stock museum maps, membership brochures and program guides as needed.
- Support the general operations and activities of the Museum in other duties as assigned by the Visitor Services Manager.
- Assist docents in preparation of guided tours.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- At least 6 months of related experience including; cash handling experience preferred.
- Poise, maturity, flexibility and aptitude to work as a collaborative team player in multi-tasking environment with demonstrated flexibility to meet shifting demands and priorities.
- Knowledge of ticketing and point of sales system as well as strong computer skills including MS Word and Excel.
- Appreciation of the Museum’s mission preferred.
- Ability to work some nights, early mornings and weekends as events and meetings require.
- Capability to lift up to 20Ibs and capacity to stand for extended periods.
Status: Part Time, 24 hours per week
Posted: July 9, 2019
The Cape Ann Museum is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply. For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources, Cape Ann Museum, 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA 01930.