This Hepplewhite sideboard descended through the family of Captain Elias Davis to Alfred Mansfield Brooks, on to Hyde Cox and then to the Museum. We should assume that the piece was used in the Davis House, probably in the dining room and that Captain and Mrs. Davis were the original owners. The primary wood is mahogany; the secondary wood (used on the insides of the drawers) is pine; the inlay is probably satinwood. The brasses are original. The legs are straight with no taper, the inlay is subtle but finely done, the mahogany is handsome but understated. The rectangular top, straight front and delicate lines contribute to the overall simplicity of the piece. In the early 19th century owning a sideboard such as this would have been a sign of gentility.
Learn more about the history of sideboards and the provenance of one in the Museum’s collection that can be traced through four generations of mothers and daughters here.
|Date of work:||c. 1790|
|Medium:||Mahogany with inlay|
|Credit line:||Bequest of E. Hyde Cox, 1998|