The Museum will reopen to CAM Members on September 24 and to the public on October 1. The New CAM Green campus opens to the public on September 17. Hours at both locations will be limited and preregistration for timed ticket entry is required. Details here.


Brig Corporal Trim of Gloucester, Elias Davis, Master

Brig Corporal Trim of Gloucester, Elias Davis, Master enlarge

Brig Corporal Trim of Gloucester, Elias Davis, Master

The Corporal Trim was built in Newbury in 1806 for Gloucester merchants Fitz W. Sargent and Benjamin K. Hough. Davis became the third owner of the ship and its captain in 1815. In 1821, the year of his father's death, Davis's son Francis Haskell Davis inherited his father's share and replaced him as captain.

Sea captains often had portraits of their ships painted in foreign ports as souvenirs. Joseph-Ange Antoine Roux's family owned a nautical supply shop in Marseilles. English sea captains, who dominated the trade there, first encouraged Roux to paint their ship's portraits in the late 18th century. Roux eventually became known as the best ship portrait painter in the Mediterranean.

Image rights & reproduction


Date of work: Undated
Medium: Watercolor on paper
Accession number: 2027.137
Credit line: Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Mansfield Brooks, 1971


Sign up for e-news

Subscribe and receive updates on happenings at the Cape Ann Museum.