Phillips & Holloran, Architects
Phillips & Holloran, one of Cape Ann's most successful architectural firms, produced 300-plus sets of drawings while in business from 1894 through the 1960s. Their output included private residences, civic buildings, summer hotels, artist studios and commercial structures. They did new construction as well as renovations and additions to projects initiated by other architects.
The principals in the practice were Ezra L. Phillips (1870–1937) who started the firm in 1894; Timothy Francis Holloran (1883–1966) who was apprenticed to Phillips as a young man and became a partner in 1926; and Robert T. Holloran (1919–2008) who received a degree in architecture from Wentworth Institute before joining in business with his father. Working during a time that witnessed the professionalization of the field of architecture, these men and their associates left an indelible mark on a substantial and important swath of Cape Ann’s built environment.