1922 - 1996
Nell Blaine, a widely respected painter, first came to Gloucester in 1943. By the mid-1950s when she began staying in the area on a regular basis she was already a well-established New York artist. In 1974, Blaine purchased a house in East Gloucester which served as her summer residence and studio for the next 22 years. Her works are full of color and excitement and capture the essence of summer on Cape Ann.
In 1989, the Museum received its first work by Blaine, an interior view of her West Wharf studio on Rocky Neck. Since that time, a handful of other works by Blaine have been added to the Museum's holdings along with works by several other New York artists who followed her to the area.