Insights On Site
An ongoing series of one-day contemporary art installations at the Historic White-Ellery House
The White-Ellery House (1710), owned and operated by the Cape Ann Museum, has served as the backdrop for a series of one-day contemporary art installations since 2010.
The House is located at 245 Washington Street in Gloucester and is free and open to the public on select Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. each month from May through October as part of Escapes North 17th Century Saturdays.
Support for this program is provided by The Umberto Romano and Clorinda Romano Foundation which celebrates Umberto Romano’s (1906–1982) legacy on Cape Ann through arts education and appreciation and by fostering the work of emerging and/or working artists.
Tim Ferguson Sauder & Rob Alexander
A collaboratively created installation using sculpture to explore issues related to Cape Ann’s fishing industry. Tim lives in Lanesville and is design professor at Olin College; Rob is Creative Director of Office in San Francisco.
Ploughshares: Lines from Isaiah
An installation created from old tools and implements combined with mixed media from a series about war and inspired by lines from the Book of Isaiah. Christy lives in Gloucester and is professor emerita at Massachusetts College of Art.
In the Heart of Place: Image and Expression
Combining photography with the written word, Williams invites visitors to consider their sense of place, as well as their emotional connections to it. Kathleen resides in Magnolia.
A selection of paintings, sculpture, murals and mixed media works by Gibb, the first woman to run and complete the Boston Marathon in 1966; the installation coincides with the 50th anniversary of her historic run. Bobbi is a Rockport resident.
Leslie Lyman and Karen Battles
Here – Long Ago
A collaborative mixed media installation intended to spark visitors’ imaginations about the stories held within objects and dwellings. Leslie creates art at her home in Beverly Farms; Karen is a graphic designer living in Newburyport.
About the White-Ellery House
The White-Ellery House, located at 245 Washington Street in Gloucester at the Route 128 Grant Circle Rotary, was built in 1710 and is one of just a handful of First Period houses in Eastern Massachusetts that survives to this day. Unlike other structures of this period, the largely unfurnished house has had very few interior alterations over the years. Stepping inside today, visitors enter much the same house they would have 300 years ago. Parking is available off Poplar Street in the field behind the house.
Ana Alakija – Interconnections (Brazil/Africa, Portugal/New England)
Shep Abbott – It’s All About Dogtown!
Elizabeth Alexander – Still Life: a Fabricator's Banquet
Ila Prouty – Dream Repeater
Jenna Powell – Lost & Found