Fitz Henry Lane Online
GLOUCESTER, MA – The Cape Ann Museum is pleased to announce the public launch of its interactive website, Fitz Henry Lane Online, on February 15, 2016. This innovative online resource is comprised of several components including: a catalog of Lane’s paintings, drawings and lithographs; an extensive database of historical information, images and materials related to the subjects within Lane’s pictures; new scholarly essays; and a bibliography and archive of publications. The rich historical material is connected to the relevant paintings through easily clickable links. The 319 works currently on the site include all known Lane pictures in public collections. The Cape Ann Museum hopes that this website will function as a central repository for information about Lane and a key resource for anyone (student, scholar, or museum visitor) interested in nineteenth-century American art or history.
Fitz Henry Lane (1804-1865), Gloucester Harbor from Rocky Neck, 1844. Oil on canvas [#1289.a].
In the future the project will expand to include Lane works in private collections and additional scholarly essays, historical materials and lesson plans. Anyone with information on the artist, including owners of Lane pictures, is encouraged to contact the project or download and submit the object information form.
In conjunction with the website, the Cape Ann Museum is organizing a special exhibition of Lane’s lithographs featuring works from its permanent collection and those borrowed from other institutions. This will be the first time many of Lane’s lithographs will be shown together. Drawn on Stone: The Lithographs of Fitz Henry Lane will open at the Cape Ann Museum on October 7, 2017 and run through March 4, 2018. An illustrated catalog will accompany the exhibition and a symposium is scheduled for October 27–28, 2017.
This project has been produced by the Cape Ann Museum with funds raised in its recent capital campaign and with major support provided by the funders below. We are grateful to staff from the Cleveland Museum of Art who contributed conservation studies and from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston who provided curatorial and conservation assistance.